Sunday, June 25, 2017

Myoko Three Peaks (August 2015)

In the Spring, I was fit enough to do a day ski tour from Sasagamine, up over Hiuchi and then on to the flank of Yake-yama. A semi controlled fall down a chute below Yake shook me up a little though, and I didn't end up climbing to the top. It did however plant the idea of doing a loop over Yake and Hiuchi, and then adding on Myoko-san for some kind of local 3 peaks route. It wasn't to be in the snow (I would still like to try though), but the right day did come up to do it as a bushwalk / trail run. 

I parked by Suginosawa bridge, and started thrashing my way up the bushy Yake-yama trail. Yake-yama is probably my favourite of the local mountains. It has a lumpy, strong presense, and doesn't have an easy approach on any side. The summit is also very beautiful, with lush green jungle transitioning into hyper-coloured volcanic rock and scree. I slipped down the other side into the saddle below Hiuchi. At this point my legs started to complain, but I still had two mountains to climb.

By the time I reached Koyaike Hyutte my calves were particularly sore. Some food, a cold soft drink and some internal deliberation and I was on my way to Myoko-san. The path over to Myoko drops into Kurosawaike, climbs the crater, drops down again, and then finally climbs the West Bowl to the peak. It all took its toll, and I was well beaten by the team I hit the top. It was slow going back to the crater and across the lake, but I picked up again as I started down the hill to Sasagamine. I even managed to jog most of the road back to the start!

I collapsed in the back of the car, fell asleep, waking to make the journey down to 7-11 for some magnificent fried chicken and and ice-cream. A top day out. Unfortunately Yake-yama is now off limits due to volcanic activity. I hope the trails do not become disused like so many others in this area.

GPS track is below.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/875990628



No comments:

Post a Comment